Portland Murder Defense Attorneys
Violent Crime Lawyers in Portland, Oregon
When facing murder charges, your very life may be at stake. Under Oregon law, you may face the death sentence, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, or life imprisonment. Under Ballot Measure 11, you will face mandatory minimum sentencing that cannot be reduced for good behavior or parole, and if you are a juvenile offender you will be tried as an adult.
You need an experienced and aggressive Portland criminal defense attorney to defend your rights if you or someone you know is currently facing murder charges, or if you believe that you may be a suspect in a murder investigation. By getting involved early on, an attorney can actually help you avoid a conviction. A skilled attorney may also be able to have your charges lessened and can work to build a defense strategy that will work in your favor.
Murder Charges in Portland
Murder is a form of criminal homicide wherein the death of the victim was intentional, planned or committed with malice aforethought. Malice aforethought refers to the “guilty mind” – the knowledge of the consequences of one’s actions. In some certain circumstances, however, an accidental death may result in a murder charge. The defendant caused the death of another during the commission of first degree burglary, assault, arson, kidnapping, robbery or felony sexual offense.
Following are some examples of situations which may qualify criminal homicide to be charged as aggravated murder:
- The defendant was paid or promised money or other valuables in exchange for causing the death of the victim.
- The defendant offered or paid money or valuables for another to cause the death of the victim.
- The victim was a peace officer and the murder was related to him or her carrying out his or her duties in that position.
- The defendant committed the crime personally and intentionally.
- The murder was committed in an effort to conceal the commission of another crime, or to conceal the identity of the person who committed another crime.
Portland Defense Lawyers for Murder Charges
Do not hesitate in contacting our firm to discuss your case with a defense lawyer. By acting immediately, you can have all of your questions answered by a legal professional and can have your immediate concerns addressed so you can make an informed decision regarding what to do.
Contact a Portland murder defense lawyer at our firm to discuss how we can protect your future and your liberty.