Portland Manslaughter Defense Lawyers
Violent Crime Attorneys in Portland, Oregon
Arrested for manslaughter? Your future and freedom are on the line. By working with a Portland criminal defense attorney, you can help ensure that you are not convicted for this offense. A skilled attorney will know how to approach your case and build a defense strategy that will have the greatest chance of holding up in court, even against physical evidence and witness testimony that the prosecution may have compiled. By treating your case as an individual circumstance and providing you with the one-on-one attention you need, a defense lawyer can help you reach the best outcome possible for your manslaughter charges.
Manslaughter is a form of criminal homicide wherein an individual causes the unlawful death of another. Both first degree and second degree manslaughter are violent crimes which are covered under Oregon Ballot Measure 11, and this means that a defendant will face mandatory minimum sentencing if convicted. Additionally, a juvenile offender who is over the age of 15 will face trial as an adult for a manslaughter charge.
Lawyers Defending Manslaughter Cases in Portland
- First degree manslaughter is a Class A felony, punishable by a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years and a maximum sentence of 20 years. This crime involves a criminal homicide committed when:
- The defendant displays extreme indifference to human life
- The crime is committed intentionally, but in a moment of extreme emotional disturbance
- The defendant recklessly causes the death of a dependent person or a child under 14 years old, due to neglect or maltreatment
- Second degree manslaughter is a Class B felony, punishable by a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 6 years, 3 months and a maximum sentence of 10 years. This involves a homicide committed when:
- It is committed recklessly
- The defendant intentionally causes or aids another in committing suicide
- The defendant, with criminal negligence, causes the death of a dependent person or a child under 14 due to neglect or maltreatment
Contact a Portland manslaughter defense lawyer at our firm regarding your criminal charges.